Sunday, April 27, 2008

Green Cleaning

I'm not exactly on the "Go Green" bandwagon yet, but due to my sons allergies I have been encouraged to hop on board. The most recent thing I have started doing is utilizing distilled white vinegar for almost all my cleaning. I know...It smells horrible, but the smell dissipates very quickly! Vinegar kills molds, bacteria and other nasty germs because of it's acidity, yet it is gentle enough to put in your laundry. You don't have to be afraid to breath it, as long as you don't mix it with bleach (see here). You don't have to be worried your kids will die from it and if you are like me, you don't have to worry about getting bleach spots all over your clothes because you lean against a wet spot on the counter. I found a site that has some tips on using vinegar here. One of my favorite uses is adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup to my rinse cycle. My clothes come out extremely clean with no residue and SO soft. I would not have believed it before I tried it. You can also add baking soda or salt with vinegar to make a paste for things that need an abrasive. I think it's awesome and I'm a born skeptic, so give it a try and let me know how it goes for you.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I've been avoiding really cleaning bc i didnt want to breathe in bleach being pregnant and all, so im going to try cleaning and mopping with vinegar! Thanks!